Edmond Fire Department Careers
The Edmond Fire Department will be accepting applications for the rank of firefighter beginning at 8:00 am on Monday, May 17, 2021. Applications will be accepted until 5:00 pm Friday, June 4, 2021. All applications must be completed online. A link to the online application will be posted to this page on the morning of May 17.
Firefighter Job Description
Edmond Fire Department History
The first Edmond Fire Company was organized in 1903 with only one aerial ladder truck carrying a hose nozzle to a six-floor building. The ladder truck was pulled by a team of horses and fed water with a Bucket Brigade. Beginning in 1904, the first Edmond Fire Station was on Broadway between First and Second streets.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High School graduate or GED equivalent on or before June 14th, 2021.
- Citizen of the United States or have Resident Alien Status.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with the ability to obtain and Oklahoma State driver’s license.
- Must be able to complete 22 years of service prior to age 67.
Hiring Process Expectations
The hiring process for the Edmond Fire Department is a competitive process that takes approximately 4 months to complete. There are several steps included that MUST be complete prior to being considered for employment.
- City of Edmond Questionnaire and Application
- Written Examination (June 14th-18th, 2021)
- Top 80 applicants will proceed to the CPAT portion of the hiring process
- CPAT orientation and practice sessions (Dates to be Determined)
- Board Interview
- Fire Chief’s Interview
- Polygraph Exam
- CPI Psychological Testing
- Various Background Checks
- State Pension Board Physical
- Post Offer Pre-Placement Physical Screening
Edmond Fire Department works a Modified Kelly System. Working within one of three 24 hour shifts (red, green, or blue). In a five day tour of duty you should expect to work three days with a day off between each day. At the end of the five days, you have four days off.
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Military leave
- Medical & Life insurance
- Education incentives
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Edmond is an equal opportunity employer. Edmond does not discriminate against employees and/or potential employees. Adverse action based upon an applicant's and/or employee's race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, pregnancy, disability, genetic information and military service is expressly prohibited. No decision affecting the terms, conditions and/or benefits of employment with the City of Edmond is based upon an individual's membership in any of the aforementioned protected classes.
The Edmond Fire Department does not require any specific licensure or certifications to apply for a position in our department. Due to job requirements and needs for department personnel, preference points are awarded to applicants who provide proof of appropriate licensure as a nationally registered EMT-B, EMT-A, or EMT-P as follows.
- Increase of 5% of final written score total for EMT-B.
- Increase of 5% of final written score total for EMT-A.
- Increase of 5% of final written score total for EMT-P.
Preference points will only be awarded to individuals who successfully pass the written test battery and who provide appropriate proof of current licensure at their assigned written test.