Chickens or Laying Hens Policy

Qualifying Edmond residents may apply for a permit allowing chickens or laying hens to be kept on their property. If you are interested in obtaining a permit, please review the requirements below. 

View Ordinance #3868.

Application Requirements 

  • Completed Application
  • Government issued ID such as a driver's license or passport
  • Proof of Completion of a 2-hour minimum class on the care and raising of urban chickens
  • Aerial photo of the property with coop/run identified
  • Payment of $25.00 (non-refundable)

General Requirements

  • Permits will only be issued for properties in single-family zoning. 
  • Chickens are to be maintained on land which the owner/occupant resides.
  • No roosters allowed.
  • Must have a minimum of 2 hens.
  • No slaughtering of chickens is permitted.
  • From dusk until dawn, chickens shall be kept within the coop, from dawn until dusk, chickens shall have access to the run and coop.
  • All areas where chickens are present shall be cleaned daily to prevent an accumulation of food, fecal matter, bedding or nesting material so as to prevent a nuisance or unsanitary condition due to odor, vermin, debris or decay. All waste not composted shall be properly bagged and placed in garbage containers.
  • This code is not in conflict with any restrictive covenant that may be applicable to any property. If a covenant restricts ownership of chickens, this ordinance does not give authority to ignore the covenant rules. Property owners are responsible for checking with any applicable homeowner's association (HOA) to determine neighborhood rules before obtaining a permit.
  • For lot sizes below 0.68 acres, a maximum of 50 permits will be issued per year during the sunset provision, which expires on September 30, 2021.

What is a Chicken Coop?

A permanent structure that, in addition to protecting human health and safety, provides the chickens with protection from the elements and predators, and must include suitable clean ventilated air, bedding, nest boxes, and roost space.

What is a Chicken Run?

An attached enclosed area where chickens are safe from predators but free to be outside the coop, but also protects human health and safety.

Chicken Coop/Run Requirements

  • The coop and run shall be attached and located in the rear or backyard of the property.
  • The location of the coop must have a 40 ft. setback to the dwelling structure(s) of all neighboring properties.
  • The coop and run shall be no closer than 5 feet from any side or rear property line.
  • Coops shall be located in areas that are not susceptible to storm water run-off onto neighboring properties.
  • One nest box is required for every 4 chickens.
  • Roosts should have 18" of surface area and have rounded corners and be free of splinters.
  • The coop and run shall have appropriate screening from adjacent neighbors.
  • Movable chicken enclosures are permitted so long as they meet the minimum specification of the ordinance.
  • Coops shall be predator resistant and any open wall or windows shall be designed and screened to prevent access by predators.
  • If your structure will be 200 sq. ft. or larger, you will need to obtain a Building Permit from the Building Services Department.

Number of Chickens Allowed

The number of chickens allowed is determined by the property’s lot size, dimensions of the coop, and dimensions of the run. The lesser number of chickens allowed based on these 3 criteria is the number of allowable chickens the owner can have on the property.

Lot sizes can be found on the Oklahoma County Assessor Website

# of AcresSquare Footage# of Chickens Allowed
Less than 0.33Less than 14,5202-4
Between 0.33 & 0.6814,520 -30,000 2-6
Between 0.68 & 130,000 -43,5602-8
1 - 243,560 - 87,1202-12
2-387,120 - 130,6802-18
3-4130,680 - 174,2402-24
4-5174,240 - 217,8002-30
More than 5No MaximumPermit Not Required

Minimum size for a Coop is 4 square feet per hen.

Minimum Size for the Run is 8 square feet per hen.

# of ChickensMust have for CoopMust have for Run
28 sq. ft. of coop16 sq. ft. of run
312 sq ft of coop24 sq. ft. of run
416 sq. ft. of coop32 sq. ft. of run
520 sq. ft. of coop40 sq. ft. of run
624 sq. ft. of coop48 sq. ft. of run
728 sq. ft. of coop56 sq. ft. of run
832 sq. ft. of coop64 sq. ft. of run

Creating the Application

Permits will be issued to a property owner/occupant if the property meets all requirements detailed above. Permits can be obtained by accessing our online permitting portal;

You must first Create an Account at
  • Select Create at the left margin of the screen
  • Select Create New Permit Application
  • Click on City Clerk
  • Select Chicken Permit
  • Complete the Application
  • Download applicable documentation

Using the Permit Portal  

For assistance, contact the City Clerk's office at (405) 359-4545.


Permits issued for an individual to keep chickens or laying hens at a certain property shall not expire except for a change in location. If a resident moves, they shall be required to acquire a permit at their new property. In addition, the individual moving into the existing property, if they wish to own chickens, shall be required to purchase a new permit.


Permits issued may be revoked by the City Clerk upon recommendation by the Animal Services Department. Any person aggrieved by the action of the City Clerk in revoking a permit shall, upon written request within 10 business days after the notice of revocation, have the right to appeal to the Edmond City Manager.


Any questions or concerns regarding the enforcement of the requirements detailed in Edmond Municipal Code Section 7.09.130 can be directed to the City of Edmond Animal Services Department. (405) 216-7615.